Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day in Lakewood, CO! It was also a day that I was finally feeling good. Makadie and I both caught something over the Christmas break and I have been feeling yucky! I finally felt like I had energy to venture out of the house with the kiddos and it was a gorgeous day! So we packed up the girls' new bikes (birthday presents this year) and headed to Kendrick Lake Park. We like to go there often because there is a big lake path to walk or ride around, and at the end is the playground. So Coleman and I get a little exercise by motivating the girls with playing at the playground when we are done.
*
Makadie was doing amazing on her bike and was being very careful. At each slight slope she would stop and wait for me (I was pushing Anika on her bike and we were always a little behind Makadie). I would then guide her down the slope and she would be on her way. We were about 3/4 of the way around the lake when we came to another slight slope--very slight. I again told Makadie that if she wanted my help to stop and I would be right there. She said she wanted to try it on her own, so I reminded her to use her brakes if she got scared. Well off she went, a little faster, then she started screaming, and I started yelling after her Use your Brakes, Use your brakes--over and over again! Well she did not use her brakes--she was too scared to remember that piece of saftey advice! She came to a stop on the side of the path in some grass and snow. She was crying--but not that bad! I made her get back on her bike and ride the rest of the way. Anika could not ride her bike on her own, so I was pushing Anika's bike and guiding Makadie back to the car. Anika was not too helpful--she kept wanting to get off her bike and eat the dirty snow. We finally made it back to the car and I took Makadie's jacket off to get a better look! (I did not want to look on the path because I knew we needed to get back to the car somehow with both bikes and both girls--and Makadie was not complaining too bad!
*
Her arm was swollen from the elbow up and any movement made Makadie scream in pain. So we decided to go to our Pediatrician and avoid the high ER fees. It was the office's lunch break though--so finally 2 hours after the fall and Makadie in lots of pain we saw the first Doc. Her splinted it and sent us to the Children's Hospital location near us for X-rays. The X-rays had to be done in 3 arm locations--talk about screaming--Makadie really used her lungs during those X-rays--poor girlie! The X-rays told us that she needed surgery to put pins in her elbow to re-align it to heal properly. They re-splinted the arm (better than the first one) and scheduled us for surgery the next morning. It was a long afternoon and we were all glad to be home for the night!
*
Makadie has not eaten since breakfast and requested Pizza! So after yummy pizza and some Children's Motrin she went to sleep getting ready for the big day that would follow~
*
This is a picture of Makadie with her splint and very special sling with hearts! She was a brave girl and a pretty great patient!
We had to be at the Children's Hospital Main Location at 7:00 am. We dropped Anika off with a friend (thanks Jennifer!) at 6:15 and made it to the hospital on time!
We had to be at the Children's Hospital Main Location at 7:00 am. We dropped Anika off with a friend (thanks Jennifer!) at 6:15 and made it to the hospital on time!*
Makadie really loved this sculpture/contraption/display! It had hundreds of balls that rolled on rails and slides and bounced into mouths and baskets and over things and under things while making dings and dongs! She was mesmerized! It was a wonderful thing to have in a Children's Hospital~ Makadie asked her Dad if he could make one for her! He's an engineer right!! This was taken about 7:15 am right after we signed in! Makadie dressed (with Mom's help) her bunny Moosa Miller in a pink Sleeping Beauty dress and Cinderella's glass slippers to take to the hospital with her. Mossa Miller was a great friend during the day!
*All dressed up in the hospital jammies with Moosa waiting to go into surgery! She loved having her own room and being boss of the TV!
Coleman and I went in with her while she breathed her special Bubble-Gum air to make her fall asleep. They rubbed flavored lip balm on the inside of the mask so the kids like the smell. Makadie picked bubble gum because it was PINK! Since we were in the room with her we had to wear these suits! Makadie thought they were pretty funny--the nurses called them Funny Bunny Suits!*
Makadie with Mommy in her Funny Bunny Suit!
*Makadie and Daddy in his Funny Bunny Suit!
*The standing up view of Funny Bunny Daddy!
*They only had one size-- XL -- I had plenty of room~
*Makadie did great and she was under and in surgery a little over an hour. We had a princess balloon and card for her when she woke up. We were in the room with her before she woke up so she was never scared or worried!
*
She was so thirsty and loved eating Popsicles! Notice the bright pink cast in the background!!
*
The TV was like a drug, when in was off she noticed the pain and discomfort a little. When she was watching cartoons she did not feel a thing! She asked if she could have a TV up on the wall like the one in her room! She was a BIG fan! I don't think she will be getting one in her room anytime soon though!
*
Getting ready to leave! She got a little Dolly from the receptionist, Ellen. Ellen and Makadie named the Dolly, Cassie Pinka--Cassie like cast! She loves her new dolly! (She would not look at the camera--away from the TV--long enough for a picture!)
*
A picture of the whole PINK cast! Notice those eyes are still looking upward to the TV~
*
The hospital has hundreds of these Radio Flyer wagons for the kids to travel around in! Makadie got to ride one out to the car! As we were leaving she also got to choose 2 beanie babies (a patriotic Elephant for Anika and a Tye-dyed Jelly Fish for herself) and 2 knitted caps (again one for herself and one for Anika).
She did great and was so sweet all day. Each time she got anything, a sticker, beanie baby--etc--she always asked if she could have one for her sister! In 3 weeks we go back to get the cast off, pins out, and a new X-ray!
*The TV was like a drug, when in was off she noticed the pain and discomfort a little. When she was watching cartoons she did not feel a thing! She asked if she could have a TV up on the wall like the one in her room! She was a BIG fan! I don't think she will be getting one in her room anytime soon though!
*Getting ready to leave! She got a little Dolly from the receptionist, Ellen. Ellen and Makadie named the Dolly, Cassie Pinka--Cassie like cast! She loves her new dolly! (She would not look at the camera--away from the TV--long enough for a picture!)
*A picture of the whole PINK cast! Notice those eyes are still looking upward to the TV~
*The hospital has hundreds of these Radio Flyer wagons for the kids to travel around in! Makadie got to ride one out to the car! As we were leaving she also got to choose 2 beanie babies (a patriotic Elephant for Anika and a Tye-dyed Jelly Fish for herself) and 2 knitted caps (again one for herself and one for Anika).
She did great and was so sweet all day. Each time she got anything, a sticker, beanie baby--etc--she always asked if she could have one for her sister! In 3 weeks we go back to get the cast off, pins out, and a new X-ray!*
We are glad today is done and we will ALL sleep well tonight!
*
We are so thankful for all the prayers and thoughts that were said and felt for us and Makadie. The Doctors and Nurses were wonderful and made this possible VERY scary situation for a 4 year old--not too bad at all! We feel very blessed that all went so smoothly.
*
(so I just quickly skimmed this and notices a lot of typos--but I am too tired to fix them now--maybe tomorrow, until then--I know they are there!)





6 comments:
Holy Cow!! What an adventure! Tell Makadie I think the cast is awesome in pink!
Wow that is quite the adventure. I love Children's and am glad they took such good care of Makadie.
That's so sad. I hope she is feeling better.
cute cast.
What a brave little gal. That's hilarious that she rode her bike back to the car! ;)
Love the funny bunny suits, and impressed the Coleman would pose in his.
Poor girl...what a trooper! Glad everything turned out okay!
Post a Comment