So my hair was getting really long and I wanted a change. I wanted to cut my hair but wanted to wait until after Anika was born. During a pregnancy you feel big and uncomfortable, so I did not want to waste that fresh look feeling you get after a good haircut on feeling crummy because of a pregnancy.
A friend of mine recently donated her hair and suggested that I do the same. I never really felt my hair was donation worthy. It is thin and stringy and did not think there would be enough of it to donate. Once the suggestion was made I knew that I wanted to donate my hair. When Anika was 2 weeks old I went into Cost Cutters to get my hair cut. I chose them because they sent us a "welcome to the neighborhood" coupon when we bought our house. I told them what I was doing and they said then your haircut is free. They even mailed my hair to Locks of Love for me. It was a really easy and wonderful experience.
You need at least 8 inches for Pantene Beautiful Lengths and 10 inches for Locks of Love. I measured my hair and there was about 12 inches that I could live without. So for the rest of my pregnancy I tried to take extra good care of my hair and of course continued taking my prenatal vitamins.
I have had a few really good friends that have battled and are battling cancer. Over the years we have been involved with Relay for Life and the Rex Lee Run at BYU. These fundraisers for Cancer Research are important and it is important to be involved to work to find a cure and better working treatments.
As many of you know I volunteered with Camp Hobe, http://www.camphobekids.org/ a summer camp for kids with cancer, for quite a few years. I still wanted to be involved with Hobe once moving to Colorado, but it has been hard to make it back to Utah and leave my kids and hubby for 1-2 weeks.
I also wanted to become a Pediatric Oncologist, but having my family has postponed those plans for a while. I am not as involved in Cancer research and support like I used to be and wished I still was. By donating my hair I am helping a little bit, and every little bit is important.
If this is something that you are interested in doing I have included some websites to check out. These are amazing programs and something that many can be involved in.
Locks of Love
http://locksoflove.org/donate.html
Pantene Beautiful Lengths
http://beautifullengths.wordpress.com/
Hilary Swank on Oprah
http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200711/20071102/slide_20071102_350_201.jhtml
Before
(Roni and Makadie in front of our house the day before Anika was born)
(Roni in Rocky Mountain National Park in Sept 2007)
After
Monday, January 21, 2008
More Than Just A Free Haircut!
Posted by Roni, Coleman, Makadie and Anika at 3:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Love, love, LOVE the hair!! It looks so cute and really does give you a "fresh" look! I've enjoyed reading up on you and your family... Your little ones are precious!! Keep your blog updated and I'll do the same!
Love,
Sassy-K
I love your hair short! It looks great! And what a great cause to donate to!
cute hair, I'm getting ready to do the same thing i don't know if I have it long enough, ut it's going anyways. hey, have you kept in touch with Melissa Leaverton? I lost track of her when she was going to school in Tucson. have her contact me or talk her into opening a blog!
Looks cute Roni! I love when people come in for a haircut wanting to donate, its a great thing! Cute blog, and I love the music!
Post a Comment