Coleman got home from scout camp Saturday morning and we were all in the front room welcoming home Daddy when the wind began to pick up outside. Our recycle containers were out front and the contents were beginning to blow around the yard. We rushed outside to gather up the flying garbage and put it all in the garage. The wind was kind of fun and it started to rain. Makadie (and her parents) enjoy dancing in the rain--so we were danicing around in the front yard. Suddenly the wind REALLY PICKED UP and I grabbed the girls and fought to get them inside. It was really hard to open the front door to get inside due to the strong winds. When I got inside I realized that our dining room and living room windows were open. They were creating a wind tunnel through the house. I quickly closed them both but not before dirt and dust filled the house. The wind died down and we were talking about the excitement. I was a little nervous for my garden in the backyard so we went out back to check on things. The yard was a mess--toys and trash all over--along with leaves, small branches, and lots and lots of pine needles from nearby trees cluttered the yard! We were about ready to head back into the house when Coleman looked up and saw this:
*
*
the tall pine tree in the backyard snapped in the wind and landed on the power lines!
So we called 9-1-1, but our neighbors a few houses down had already called in, so by the time we got off the phone with 9-1-1 you could hear the fire engine driving to our house. It was a weird thing to hear a fire truck and know that they were coming to your house! They were there QUICK!!
Since the tree was hanging on the power line the fire crew could not spray the fire to put it out. We were waiting on Excel Energy to come and turn off the power so that the fire could be put out. We waited in the front yard while the tree branch slowly burned. There was a fireman watching the branch at all times to make sure the lines did not snap.
*
*
The firemen let Makadie sit in their truck! Makadie wanted Anika to join her!
Excel was so busy with other issues from the wind storm we just had to watch the tree burn through the line. When it flamed up the firemen were ready with their hoses to spray our house and yard if needed.
Eventually the tree just burned itself through the lines and dropped onto our grass. So the fire was put out before Excel ever made it to the house to turn off power!
It was a pretty big chunk of the tree that snapped off! There is now more sun in our backyard!
It was an exciting morning and we are very thankful that it was just exciting and not a problem. We were safe and nothing was damaged. We are grateful that we were singing in the rain in the front yard and not the back! Also our garden seems to be just fine~
*
*
The Goodells came over
on Monday to help cut up and clean up the mess! Thanks Goodells--you were an amazing help!













6 comments:
I'm glad everyone was safe. You found me on facebook and now I can check out your blog. I am happy you are happy and healthy. I just sent my baby to kindergarten today. Wow. Glad we can keep in touch.
Oh my goodness Roni! How scary, but exciting! Hey, whatever happened with Seth and your sister-in-law?
WOW that is exciting! Im glad everything is okay...Boston would've loved the Fire Truck!
What a little trip!! I'm glade nothing more happened. Call if you need anything
That's crazy, glad everything turned out OK! I bet your girls loved the big fire truck though!
SCARY! I'm so glad everything was alright.
Post a Comment